Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Muenchen, For all those who haven't seen this big village in all its glory.

Every European city whether small or big has its own charm. From the gorgeous cities like Berlin in the east, the memerising Rome and Vienna in the central-south, young and vibrant Barcelona in the west, the solemn and sedate yet beautiful Stockholm in the north to the smallest of cities like Pisa, Firenze, and islands like Lapalma and Tenerife, I have travelled far and quite extensively.
It's now quite some time I have been staying in this beautiful city and slowly perhaps I am falling in love with it. It probably does not have the grandiose architecture which Rome or Athens can boast of, neither the very ancient narrow cobblestone roads with early 20th century gaslights of Nueremburg, Erice or any other very old city, but Munich has a very nice mixture of the old and the new. The city is just the right place for the people who love art with a staggering array of museums, galleries, exhibition halls and not to mention of numerous operas, theatres etc.
Bavaria is souvenir-icon Germany at its postcard best, and the fairy-tale Gothic, Biergarten-filled city of Munich is no exception.
But probably many cities of Europe can offer all those what Muenchen has,however the feature which attracted me the most
was the greenery of the city ---> the vast stretches of the Englischer Garten with the small brook Isar ( well, we will call it a brook, Muencheners call it a river ) flowing through one of the corners are a real soothing site. The city has passed a law that one cannot build higher than 8 storeyed building inside the main city and I appreciate this idea very much. And then what completely stole my heart was the the distinct change of seasons I saw here : nature presents every season in all its glory. Just focus your attention to one tree, keep taking pictures every month and you will see so many different colours of leaves and the bare branches in winter when there are no leaves or completely covered with snow and then the new leaves when spring comes, wow, nature at her very best, I can imagine and feel !!!!!
This change of mood is what I had missed many years, it seemed I had lost this feel for nature, in the last years in the city where I stayed it seemed so un-changing, so monotonous that I was getting fed up with my surroundings. Munich has probably shown me some of the most wonderful colours of nature again, has taught me to fall in love with the beauties around me again --> a feeling which was constantly getting eroded........

2 Comments:

Blogger samudrika said...

What rubbish! How did you miss the changing colours of the almond tree outside the west canteen? Having said that I agree that Mumbai has the most ambient unchanging climate of all.

8:43 AM  
Blogger musafir said...

What I can only remember is that the almond tree only changed colour twice, maybe....
but I alweays felt the garden in my HEI to be too artificial.
I am sorry but probably some unknown disease has erased all good memories of my HEI, what has left over are not so nice ones !!!!!
But the natural beauties are nothing compared to what I have seen in Muenchen.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home