Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Kantine Food.

When I used to be a member of a HEI ( High Esteemed Institute ) in my country, we have had enormous debates on the canteen food we had there. It was of course not the best one can think of ( I do not believe one can make everybody happy when the number is about 200 odd people coming from different states having completely different food habits ), but it was not the worst of all. However, the thing which used to bother me was not the quality of the dishes, but the hygeine level and also many times we were served stale food and food which were a few days' old.

Now, here I am in one of the premier research institues in arguably Europe's wealthiest nations ( Germany ) and I still similar features in the canteen which were so familiar to me. Probably the hygiene level is higher ( you do not see rats or cockroaches or lizards running around ) but the quality of food is quite bad here. And on top of that, we are often served salads, the looks and taste of which clearly tell you that they have been bought cheap and from places where quality of these things are not given a high priority and mind you, this kantine is not subsidised, we pay quite a bit but we do not get a very descent meal.

There have quite a few protests but not much has happenned. Canteen people all over the world seem to be like-minded..... !!!!!!!! And all this happens in one of world's highly developed nations !!!!!

Sometimes I get confused when people talk about development : Is just the sensex or GDP or how much foreign reserves a country has the only way to define development ? When I am complaining about what I wrote above, am I not talking about development ? Are'nt depriving somebody of basic necessities of life a sign of under-development ? I am really confused...........

1 Comments:

Blogger Manojendu said...

There are certain social attributes that prove beyond doubt that humans all over the world are actually very same (i.e. with 46 chromosomes!), and the canteen system is the paramount of them. I think there should be a universal body called canteen association of thw world, where they should pledge to serve unpalatable food always without fail and turn a deaf ear to all protests and suggestions.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home