Saturday, April 01, 2006

Oliver Twist : Revisited !!!!

This boy holds a special place in my heart as this was probably the first serious novel I read when I was growing up. And when the master director Romans Polanski made the film, I wanted to watch it more than anything else. And yes I did a few days ago. Without a doubt the Roman Polanski version of OLIVER TWIST will surely go down as one of the greatest version of this story ever filmed (Before this I had seen a TV series on Oliver Twist which was equally moving, david Lean also made a film which I have not seen but had received a lot of acclaim ). Dickens portrayal of 19th century poverty stricken underworld of England has been masterfully handled by Polanski and he was lucky to have the help of some of the all time great artists of motion pictures : Ben Kinsley. Superb acting, effective characterisation, the typical Dickensian idea of fighting for survival against all odds, a glimpse of the inequalitites of the Victorian society and its rather warped sense of justice : nothing coould have been ever so brutal, shocking and yet exquisite.

Yes, Oliver Twist moved me to tears, and hats off to Polanski : a truly wonderful adaptation of a classic novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home